Friday, October 7, 2016

Warding My Heart

My ward remains firm, but my resolve flags the longer she stays at the portal. Her hands press against her side, trying to break through even though it’s obvious she’s locked out.

I’m not even really sure what the fight was about anymore. I can’t remember what started it, although I do remember how it ended. That was with her storming up to the portal, dialing up her favorite bar, and transporting out without any form of goodbye.

Now she wants to come home. But does she want to return to apologize or to yell at me some more? Probably the former, based on past experience. So maybe I should let her in...

We’ve been through this more times than I can count. She snaps, calls me names, and breaks something. Then she goes drinking. By the time she’s a few shots in, she starts feeling sentimental, and stumbles back with words of adoration. I’ve always just let her do it. This is the first time it occurred to me to lock her out.

After what seems like eternity, her hands fall away, and she pushes her face close to the surface of the portal. “Please?” she mouths. “I’m sorry.”

I move close to my side, making sure she can see my lips as I say, “Me, too.”
“I love you,” she says.

Tears sting my eyes as I respond. “I love you, too.”

And I pull the curtain over the portal.


***

Photo prompt provided by Bliss Morgan as part of her Nightmare Fuel Project. 
She says, "I do not have creator info for this image; if you know, please let me know so I can credit properly. I found it on this site: http://learn.corel.com/blog/fun-spooky-halloween-photography-ideas/ "


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, reactions, or constructive criticism? Let me know!